I have now booked all of my flights for December’s South-East Asia trip and, after adding them all up, I realise that I’ll be spending 48 hours inside airplanes during the trip. There will be a total of 11 flights with five different airlines. The most challenging segments will be with Cathay Pacific between New York and Hong Kong, as those flights will be at least 15 hours each way.
The eleven flights are as follows:
- American Airlines: Bermuda to New York (2hrs 5 mins)
- Cathay Pacific: New York to Hong Kong (16 hours)
- Cathay Pacific: Hong Kong to Bangkok (2hrs 50 mins)
- Qatar Airlines: Bangkok to Hanoi (2hrs)
- Lao Airlines: Hanoi to Luang Prabang, Laos (1 hr)
- Lao Airlines: Luang Prabang to Chiang Mai (1 hr)
- Lao Airlines: Chiang Mai to Luang Prabang (1 hr)
- Bangkok Airways: Luang Prabang to Bangkok (2 hrs)
- Cathay Pacific: Bangkok to Hong Kong (2hrs 34 mins)
- Cathay Pacific: Hong Kong to New York (15hrs 14 mins)
- American Airlines: New York to Bermuda (2hrs 26 mins)
Fortunately, the trip is not all flying. I’ll have plenty of time on the ground to enjoy Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos.